Saturday, January 23, 2010

TWMHTHS #3: Breakfast? Dessert? Breakfast-Dessert?


[Pete] I have been too busy to post a good note on food (The Way to a Man's Heart is Through His Stomach) for a while. So let me update you on a recent enjoyment of mine: Amish Friendship Bread (pdf). If baked correctly it is a solid 2 Run HR: A dish of great merit... but just a little bit better.

Here's the thing. It is the culmination of a 10 day fermentation process. It is best when it is slightly undercooked in one portion of the bread. So far we have yet to master that ability exactly but we're getting closer.

My wife gets tired of the constant fermentation process and need to bake once every 10 days. She feels like a slave to it at times. Understandable. But she can't help from eating it too! So I've made some myself it is so good. If you get a starter from someone and you like it, keep it going. You never know when you'll crave it but don't have the ability to start it up.

We eat through the two loafs of bread pretty quickly. Amish Friendship Bread and coffee (my current favorite) make for a quick and easy start to the day. Heat up the bread slice you want for 15 seconds on high in your microwave and you'll be able to melt some butter on it giving it more flavor. But if not, it is still an easy breakfast.


Smith's don't stop there. We like the stuff à la mode ("in the style"). If the bread is still warm when you scoop the ice cream on it'll steam nicely. Just a good vanilla bean ice cream will do. French vanilla ice cream is too sweet. No more toppings are necessary. You do not want to make it too sweet although I imagine a little dazzle of caramel or some toasted pecans would be good too although it has yet to be tried. I'll update the post if I am able to try it. The toasted pecans are Victoria's idea and I think it would work well. Caramel I'm just not sold on yet. Probably too sweet. Maybe a brandy cream sauce normally used with bread pudding would be a good try too. Regardless it makes for a great breakfast or desert or breakfast-dessert.


Tastes So Good

No comments:

Post a Comment