Thursday, February 25, 2010

TWMHTHS #4: Stuffed Shells


The other week I got an instant message from my wife bemoaning not having enough eggs even though she had gone tot he grocery store that day, if I remember correctly. After suggesting she ask a neighbor for that last egg I came home to an amazing meal of Stuffed Shells! What a welcome home to accentuate the wife daughter combo! Definitely a HR! With the first bite I was transported back 3.5 months earlier:

The last time I had my wife's homemade stuffed shells was the night Charlotte was born November 5th. Victoria had tried her hand successfully at the dish in late October. We placed some in a comparable to Tupperware and froze a meal for the big day. Sure enough, I lugged a cooler with ice into the hospital and inside resided the wonder of homemade stuffed shells. After the events of the day, when mother and child were resting, probably near midnightish, famished and beginning the descent from the adrenaline, I heated the stuffed shells in the nearby visitors sitting area microwave. It was so good. I was hungry and the birth fresh in my mind. One can be stone-faced after a birth or trauma or other intense emotional setting, good food can be an amazing way to get back to reality: A respite from the furry of work; a warmth from the cold. Praise to the Lord for the kindness of a pleasure that I've never had to go without. I've never gone to bed hungry and for that I am thankful.

A famous preacher from Nazareth preached on the side of the sea these words:

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Isn’t there more to life than food and more to the body than clothing? Look at the birds in the sky: They do not sow, or reap, or gather into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren’t you more valuable than they are? And which of you by worrying can add even one hour to his life? Why do you worry about clothing? Think about how the flowers of the field grow; they do not work or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his glory was clothed like one of these! And if this is how God clothes the wild grass, which is here today and tomorrow is tossed into the fire to heat the oven, won’t he clothe you even more, you people of little faith? So then, don’t worry saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear?’ For the unconverted pursue these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But above all pursue his kingdom and righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. So then, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Today has enough trouble of its own. (Matt 6:25-34)

Funny how seeking that kingdom and his righteousness adds all these benefits to you. Seems backward. Seems foreign. Do you believe it?

 I do.

P.S. if you want the recipe please email my wife at peteandvic-at-gmail.com and request it.

No comments:

Post a Comment