Tuesday, November 16, 2010

TWMHTHS #8: Corn Bread


I hate corn bread. I don't know why. Sometimes it turns out a tad gritty. Perhaps it is the fake sweetness that just turns sour on you. Maybe it's too dry. I really can't put my finger on why I don't like corn bread other than I just never have. Maybe it is a taste you need to acquire over time? I like corn and I like bread... but the two together, just never did it for me. Pure strike outs. I know, I know, I'm not a southerner. But let's be honest here. Do you ever say to yourself "I want corn bread tonight" on your way home from work? Does your mouth water for corn bread? Just listen to the name "corn bread" and you'll be like... "well that sucks." Yeah that's right, I'm picking a fight with poor lil' ol' corn bread. "So tell me how you really feel Pete?" "Well I am glad you asked. You're a measley lil' strikeout 'corn bread' and you shame the name of 'corn' and 'bread' all at the same time... you're better off jumping into a vat of Mississippi River water. Save mankind from the terrible disease you are."

At the local CBHA meeting
"Hi. I'm Peter and I am a corn bread hater."

"Hi Peter."

"The first step to recovery from Corn Bread Hating Addiction is to admit we are powerless over corn bread hatred—that our lives had become unmanageable."

Ok. I have issues with corn bread. I admit it. So imagine my surprise when I came home to some dish that was accompanied by a corn bread prepared by my wife that I actually wasn't just ok with but actually liked. And who knew that yogurt was the ingredient it was missing all these years? Here's a corn bread I actually could be peaceful with:


This corn bread variant scored a 1B (Single) These kinds dishes are like solid hits in baseball. Sometimes they just beat out the throw to first base, but it is far from scoring still. And as a coach, fellow player, or fan, you're okay with a man on first base. It's a delight to see when you have a perpetual strikeout magnet like José Canseco at the plate (yes, I know Reggie Jackson has the most career strikeouts for any batter in the MLB at 2,597, but Canseco is the one that comes to mind first and he is # 5 on that list at 1,942).

For corn bread I like, contact my wife for the recipe. Otherwise please don't serve it to me. I'll be nice and thankful, probably try to cover it's nasty taste up with butter before eating it, but I won't ask for seconds. Please don't be offended if I turn down your corn bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment