Sunday, October 25, 2009

Due Date


Well, today marks "the date" the calendars say I'm due. It's now 7:40pm and nearing the day's end and no signs that baby wants to make its grand entrance today. And, I'm really okay with it. I feel more patient about this than I have about most things in life and I take it for the blessing it is. Ask me again this time next week if baby still hasn't come and it may be a different story, but for now I'm happy to wait. I must say though that I am getting more excited and feeling more ready for the day very soon that we get to meet our little one. Part of me feels like it will never happen, but then I realize that it is the inevitable and will indeed happen very soon.

We were at the grocery store tonight, Peter and I, and it was the second time he made me cry at Kroger. Yes, I will explain....The first time was one day when he surprised me and met me there after work to help me grocery shop and told me the results of his allergy test earlier that day. As it turned out he was allergic to everything under the sun, including dogs. I knew we'd never be able to have cats because of how allergic he is to them, but I was always banking on the fact that one day in the future we'd be able to have a dog. I adore animals and really couldn't imagine my life without them. It turned out he tested positive for an allergy to dogs. He told me in the Kroger parking lot and I just started bawling right there. I bet people around us were wondering what on earth he had said to make his wife cry like that, and would have never guessed it was, "Honey, I'm so sorry, but I'm allergic to dogs too." It turns out it's not as bad as his cat or mold or dust allergies, and that if we were to keep the house real clean he'd be fine with a dog someday, but at that point I didn't know this. So, today, as I was waiting for the deli lady to finish my lunch meat order and Peter was coming back from getting the carrots and celery, he held in his hand a miniature birthday cake....for our baby. It was the sweetest, most loving gesture, and it immediately put tears in my eyes, as it is doing again at this very moment that I write about it. We're going to have a baby, very soon. Somehow that little birthday cake made it more real to me than it has felt up to this point.

I am so grateful for my husband, who helps with laundry, grocery shopping, dishes, late night freak out I could be in labor moments, gives me countless foot rubs, back rubs, now takes off and helps put on my socks and shoes, and still thinks to love me and the baby in such a sweet way as picking out a little birthday cake for the day that will come very soon. Soon we will be three.

1 comment:

  1. my hubby shaved my legs at the end, too. God knew what he was doing when he created our hubbies!

    ReplyDelete