Saturday, October 17, 2009

"Jumbo" Hot Dogs and Butterflies

Made it to the Butterfly Festival in historic downtown Grapevine, TX this late morning/early afternoon. Certainly a good day for a walk in the sunshine and cool breeze. Not something that has happened much in north Texas of late. We've had a ton of rain this year.

Our adventure was a good one. Saw plenty of cool art, including glassware and kaleidoscopes. The Butterfly Festival had a number of sightly butterflies from all over the world. A few were much larger than birds. Amazing sights. Many children, adults, and dogs were sporting butterfly wings. I wonder where you get those? There was a box of monarch butterflies in a box ready to be released to continue their trek to Mexico. I was looking for the birds that were going to swoop in and feast on them but none were in sight.

While there I also saw a fellow Baltimore Orioles fan. He was at the front of the face painting line and decided not to greet him and treat him to a beverage.

Speaking of beverages my wife spotted the "Steak on a Stake" booth where they sold drinks and "Jumbo" hot dogs and funnel cakes. I say "jumbo" because that's what they called the regular sized hot dog. A Jumbo hot dog and water cost $5. They probably made $4.50 in profit off the purchase. Victoria was hungry. This is rated as a K (Strike Out)

It was really put into perspective when we stopped by our local Burger Bueno and order 2 huge gyros... and free cold water for $10.72. The Burger Bueno gyros gets a 2B (Double). Definitely got gypped at the Steak on a Stake stand in Grapevine. Just like the State Gyp... I mean State Fair of Texas. Which reminds me that I am rooting for OU and my wife is rooting for UT in a tie game in the 3rd quarter of the Red River Shoot Out at the State Fair of Texas Cotton Bowl as I write... UT just pulled ahead with a TD. Good Pacific Life commercial with cheery music montage and whale activity!

So that was today's Adventure in Smithland. Sorry we forgot the camera. We had a few cool shots to take of the art and a dude in stilts walking around like he was the straw man in The Wizard of Oz and that "Jumbo" hot dog and butterflies.

P.S. My dad has photos of butterflies for sale I believe. Framed nicely and such. I can get you his contact info if interested. He sells his photography at some local shows in Maryland.

No comments:

Post a Comment